8.04.2010

Decoding Double Blind

Early on, my relationship with wine was nonchalant, and at times, abusive. My bottle would often complain. "You only love me for my alcohol," he would insist. "Don't be absurd," I would refute, "I could have stayed with Jim." I felt the two of us had a true connection, so I decided to shirk my dispassionate attitude. In flitting about town on romantic outings and wine bar tastings, we strengthened our mutual affinity. I still felt anxious; haunted to the reticent wines dark and mysterious nature. I have learned wines background, explored flights, and even resorted to self help literature -- now, I lust for a deeper understanding which will require intense measures: I must dive into the world of double-blind tasting:

To place a featureless bottle of wine on the table is like a puzzle of sense and mind. By deductive reasoning, it is possible to pinpoint a wines varietal, region, ageing process, even vintage. The Court of Master Sommeliers make this look like a piece of fermented grape pie, and I am like the fat kid who only gets a slice after losing 100 pounds.

Much like blind Matt Murdock's transformation to heightened-sensitivity Daredevil, I shall become VinoVixen: able to decode a glass of fermented grape juice -- double-blind!

No comments:

Post a Comment