8.24.2010

Entrée Not Included

The typical American carb-focused diet is a recipe for lethargy -- too often have I experienced a "food coma" directly after unthinkingly stuffing myself on an over sized, heavy entrée. Thus, I have become enamored with Mediterranean food habits, whose leisurely indulgence in life's simple pleasures is fantastically inspirational. To create and delight in a great charcuterie board can be inventive, romantic, entertaining, and surprising, and it needn't involve hours of preparation or even cooking; plus, the lack of carbohydrates leaves you with a protein buzz, which makes for a nice aphrodisiac! Relaxedly snacking on and discussing meats, cheeses, olives, and fruits, provides light and healthy accompaniment to fantastic friends and conversation. Our recent evening of blind tasting and pairing wine to decadent charcuterie left us fulfilled and energized with a renewed lust for life!

Charcuterie

three cheeses (above)
meats: sweet coppa & prosciutto
greek olives
sliced, sea salted avocado
sliced golden pear


Vin sur la table

Though I am often the bubble skeptic, I was awed by the nutty smoothness of Freixenet Cava brut. Effervescent sparkling wines pair expertly with most foods, and this bottle, when combined with our charcuterie plate, was most definitely drool-worthy. Impeccably paired with: avocado.

To double blind taste my other, I chose a 2006 Finca La Linda Malbec: a smooth Argentinean bottle with a delectably understated, inky backbone. I adore Malbecs, and for its minimal price tag and soft chocolaty notes and medium body, I would buy a case of La Linda to enjoy as an everyday guilty pleasure... not to mention it paired stunningly with every item on our charcuterie menu. Impeccably paired with: sweet coppa wrapped La Leyenda, Spanish sheep's milk cheese.

My blind taste challenge was revealed as Vignamaggio Terre di Prenzano Chianti Classico 2004. Such Italian wines often end up on a lower level of my palatable enjoyment. Despite such preceptions, this Chiantis heavy, earthy, cherry Sangiovese profile exhibited sweet vanilla, and was well structured and mouthwatering.

No comments:

Post a Comment