4.11.2010

On Store Bought Bagels

Though I have never crossed paths with a better bagel than at the Bagel Cafe in Watsonville, California, bagels often weasel their way into my basket at the grocery store. How the masses are satisfied with Noah's or Deluxe Sara Lee bagels slathered in Philadelphia Cream Cheese escapes my comprehension. On the disappointing occasion that I am lured into purchasing mass produced bagels, things get a bit messy; overwhelming toasted bagel delirium ensues. I want herb tofutti and salted cashews. Heaps of peppered avocado. Pepperjack cheese and grilled asparagus. Soft boiled egg with sun dried tomatoes. House whipped honey walnut spread; everything divine about your neighborhood bagelry. Still, through each savory, caramelized flavor, the grocery store bagel insists on drying my palate as if dragging my tongue across cardboard. I say to you, mass produced bagel, good day, sir. I will not be further duped. So if you so desire to eat gourmet style amazing bagels at home, please -- please -- acquire them fresh from the local bagelry. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment