9.20.2012

Freisa Fresh!

This 2011 Cantina del Pino "Langhe Freisa" is playing to my weaknesses right now...


sniffings: raspberry-caramel white chocolate topped with crushed rosemary.

the tasty bits: gently tannic and lifting--nearly effervescent--on my tongue. Is this fresh, light, blackberry liquer muddled with charred, sultry pepper bacon? With rosemary and lavender garnish?!! I'll have another, please and thank you! I ran across another interesting blogger who described it as "black cherry ice cream that gets you drunk." Note to self: make Langhe Freisa ice cream...

what it's all about: nestled in the hilly Piedmont region of Northern Italy, we find Langhe. The place is known mostly for bubbly wines made of Freisa grapes; wouldn't ya know it, our red Freisa is brilliantly tingly (aka "frizzante")! Did I mention it's totally affordable?

I hate that I discovered this wine on what is literally the last week of summer. Then again---hello perfect thanksgiving wine! And we even caught this in time for Canadian Thanksgiving (10/8/12; also featuring the general harvest foods of turkey & potatoes). Huzzah! I'm going to let this bottle chillax in the fridge for a few while you're carving the turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment